We are the Bingham's! Welcome to our blog.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Timber!

This is the eucalyptus tree our front yard. Brady hates it, because he has to clean up after it. Eucalyptus trees are dirty always self shedding, flaking and peeling year around, making the yard look not so pretty. The second reason, is Eucalyptus trees are used to drought conditions and create a well anchored root system when they expand in search of water. If planted in a lawn like ours, which is watered regularly, the roots “get lazy” and do not need to go in search of water. This can result in fast growing tree with shallow roots, and spells disaster if it falls onto our house. (Thanks to Google for explaining that to me) Brady was concerned that it would fall on our house. We have already had huge limbs fall, in fact one hit that window and almost cracked it.


Brady is the scout master in our ward, so he turned it into a service project.




They were such good sports, especially the scout leaders!


It didn't take them very long to cut it down.


Check out how high he is!


Thanks Craig, Tom, Paul, Ryan and all the other Leaders that helped!



Check out Becca's Boots, she said she was going to help and ran in and put on these fashionable boots to do yard work.

I am really sad to see it gone! I miss the shade, we will be planting a new tree as soon as possible.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! What a project, smart thinking for Brady to enlist the Scout's help.

Hey, post your pictures bigger.

Sherrilynn said...

I don't know how to make the pics bigger or side by side. I would love a lesson, e-mail me and teach me. ~Sherri

Jason said...

oh, that was so sad to see. but i do think it was a good idea to get it out of there before it caused some serious damage.

The Gooding Family said...

Wow! That was quite the undertaking. If you want a FAST growing tree, I'll send you pics of the 2 trees in our front yard...they are only 3 1/2 years old and are pretty good size. I think they are called Chinese Elm or Ash or something like that.